- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded & minced
- 1/2 Serrano pepper, seeded & minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cilantro bunch
1. Chop onions, garlic, & peppers removing seeds to decrease the amount of heat. Place the onion in a bowl & set aside for later.
3. Chop cilantro then place into the food processor or blender, and pulse several times to chop the cilantro. Do not over blend.
4. Pour the tomato sauce mixture into the bowl with the onion & a few pieces of coarsely chopped cilantro, stir well to combine, and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
A few years ago one of my favorite Mexican restaurants closed. I loved their salsa!!! This is a recreation of what I believe is close to the real thing. They did use red onions & also I added diced tomatoes to give it a thicker base but the taste is almost spot on!
This dish is Whole30 & Paleo approved, just make sure your canned tomatoes are approved. You can use just tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes if you want the thinner version, which is still amazing! If you want more heat, I like my salsa mild, you can add more jalapeno & Serrano peppers to the salsa. This pairs well with any Mexican dish, I usually pair it with my CrockPot Chicken Taco or Steak Tacos.