TRUE FOOD'S SWEET POTATO HASH RECREATION
- 1-2 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup water
1. With skin still on, chop sweet potato into small cubes, cut off & toss ends. Dice 1/2 onion, mince garlic, & measure out oil, water, & spices.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until brown, add garlic & sauté quickly.
3. Add sweet potato cubes to the hot skillet & let sit for 2 minutes to brown. Flip the potatoes & brown the other side for another 2 minutes. The skillet should be hot & pretty dry.
4. When both sides are brown add 1/2 cup water & stir the potatoes & onions so they do not stick. Add thyme, salt, & pepper, cover & let sit for 4-5 minutes or until all water has evaporated. At this time the potatoes should be soft & ready to serve. If they are still firm add water & repeat the process.
PLATE FINISHED PRODUCT
5. Plate & serve hot.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I recreated this dish from a dinner I enjoyed at True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach. This dish is delicious & pairs well with almost anything.
If you don't like sweet potatoes or don't have them on hand, you could replace them with yams, fingerling potatoes, or another small potatoes. This side pairs well with beef, chicken, & pork. This dish is Whole30 & Paleo compliant :)