CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE
- 3-4 pounds corned beef brisket
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut
- 10-12 fingerling or red potatoes, cut
- 4-5 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 oz dark beer
1. In a bowl whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, ground cloves, & pepper.
2. Place corned beef brisket in Crock Pot, pour in vinegar mixture & any additional spices of your choice.
3. Cut onion in half & coarsely chop.
4. Place chopped onions in Crock Pot over corned beef.
5. Wash potatoes.
6. Chop potatoes into halves or fourths.
7. Wash & peel carrots, roughly chop into 1-2 inch pieces.
8. Top corned beef & onions with potatoes & carrots.
9. Wash cabbage, chop into wedges.
10. Peel apart cabbage pieces & lay flat over potatoes & carrots. Pour beer into the Crock Pot over cabbage. Cover & cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Corned beef & cabbage is a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal that I enjoy making & eating each year. I love cooking the corned beef in the crock pot, it's easy & great for entertaining.
If you don't want to use beer you can use a beef or vegetable broth or even water. I think the beer gives it more flavor & obviously the alcohol does cook out. Turnips, celery, & pearl onions, are great additions to this dish.