ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHOCOLATE FACTORY
AVALANCHE BARK RECREATION
- 12 oz bag of White Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips & 2 Tbsp for to top
- Lightly grease or butter a 9x9 dish
1. Pour white chocolate chips into a medium microwave safe bowl.
2. Melt white chocolate chips for 1 minute in the microwave at 50% power.
Stir & continue in 30 second increments, stir each time, until chips are melted.
3. Once completely melted, add peanut butter.
4. Stir until peanut butter well mixed & smooth.
5. Add in rice krispies & gently mix to evenly coat all cereal.
6. Let cool approximately 15 to 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so to help cool.
7. Add the marshmallows & stir to combine.
8. Add mini chocolate chips & mix well.
8. Pour mixture into the oiled or buttered dish & spread evenly, pressing lightly with the back of a spoon, but do not press down too much or they will get hard once they cool.
9. Press the remaining chocolate chips into the top for garnish.
Cover with foil & let sit on the counter to cool for 20-30 minutes or to speed cooling process place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Store bars in an air tight container.
Plate Finished Product
10. When the bars are completely cooled cut into squares and enjoy!
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Each year on our family trip to Big Bear it is a must that we stop by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory & get a sprinkled caramel apple & a delicious avalanche bark. Not like it's a rare find, living only 3 miles from one, but it is just a great memory that I enjoy reliving every trip. My sister Shirley was the one who introduced me to this fine sweet treat & I have been hooked for years.
The only modification I would make to this dish is to double the batch, because they will be gone in seconds! If you or a family member has a peanut allergy you might want to try almond butter or sunflower butter. But if it's nuts in general I am sure it would still make a great sweet treat removing the peanut butter all together.