BEER-BRAISED SHORT RIBS
1. Season the short ribs on all sides with salt, pepper, & 1-2 minced garlic cloves.
2. Over medium-high heat, warm the canola oil until almost smoking.
Brown the ribs on all sides, 3-4 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer meat to the Crock Pot & continue working on the veggies.
4. Peel pearl onions or dice regular onions, chop carrots, celery, & finely slice garlic.
5. In the same pan over medium heat, saute onions, carrots, celery & garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
6. Pour veggies over short ribs.
7. Pour beer or broth in pan to collect flavors & then pour into Crock Pot over veggies & ribs.
8. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6.
9.Transfer the ribs into a bowl & cover with aluminum foil. Skim the fat off the sauce.
10. Using a blender, let cool for 5 minutes before blend, then puree the sauce until smooth.
Save some whole veggies on the side to top ribs when serving.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
A few months ago I saw a this recipe for short ribs in a William Sonoma cookbook, but it was to be made in a dutch oven. Since I do not have a dutch oven & I am seeking new great dishes for the Crock Pot I figured why not? This is a great dish as a week night dinner or even for a dinner party with good friends & good wine.
For Whole30 & Paleo use olive oil & replace beer with beef broth. I used pearl onions which can be more work, so if you do not have the time, just chop a regular onion. This dish would pair well with Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes, Red Smashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Mash or Creamy Polenta with Carrots & Spinach (as pictured). Don't forget you can always use gluten free beer or beef broth to make this a gluten free dish!