SIMPLE SWEET SLAW
(you can buy a pre-cut bag or make your own below)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/8 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Add all dressing ingredients into a mason jar or dressing bottle.
2. Shake well or whisk in a bowl.
3. Chop all slaw ingredients & mix in a bowl.
4. Pour in half of the dressing & mix well. Continue adding dressing &
mixing until it is dressed to your liking.
5. Serve in ramekins as a side dish & keep cold until ready to eat.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Nothing pairs better with some southern BBQ than some good old fashioned coleslaw. Since my brother-in-law is from Alabama there is a lot of southern cooking going on at family events, especially when football is involved. This is a great side dish for pulled for sandwiches, pork tenderloin, or serve it up with some fried chicken.
I normally make this recipe with oil & vinegar, no mayo, but sometimes mayo just make things better. You can also replace the chives with onions or some scallions. If you want to lower the calorie count simply toss the slaw with some oil, red wine vinegar, salt, & pepper. Still a great taste & almost half the calories!