SPICY CHILI BEAN & CHICKEN SOUP
- 5 cups chicken broth (see Quick Tips for homemade broth from rotisserie chicken)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cans chili beans, undrained
- 1 jar chunky salsa
- 1 can corn, drained or cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Chop onion & garlic.
2. In a large pot over medium heat saute onion & garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
3. Add in salsa, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, chili beans, shredded chicken & 5 cups broth. Mix well & simmer for 30 minutes on med-low heat.
4. When soup is done pour into a bowl & serve hot.
Plate Finished Product
5. Top soup with fresh avocado, cilantro, & a splash of line juice.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
My sister came across this delicious soup years ago on a food blog, I have always enjoyed it & have been wanting to share it with you. I modified it to a healthier version but I personally think it still tastes amazing!
There are many things that can be added or substituted in carrots would be a great addition or substitute if you don't like corn. To thicken it up you can add some soup cream for a more creamy soup. To spice it up even more you can add some fresh or canned diced chilies. You can top with chips, cheese, hot sauce, you name it! Serve it with some warm tortillas, bread, or even corn bread would be delicious.