HERB ROASTED CHICKEN WITH ROASTED VEGGIES
- 1 whole chicken
- Fresh rosemary, 4 sprigs
- Fresh thyme, 4 sprigs
- Fresh sage, 4 leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Coarse salt & pepper
- 1-2 lbs. fingerling or sweet potatoes, cut in half
- 1 lb. Carrots, peeled & cut
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease or foil a heavy rimmed baking sheet, not a roasting pan. Pull out & discard the fat & giblets from the main cavity of the chicken. Quickly rinse chicken under cold running water then pat the chicken very dry with a paper towel. Chop half of the herbs for coating, and use the whole pieces, 1-2 of each herb, to place under the skin.
2. Starting at the edge of the main cavity, slide fingers under the skin over the chicken breast to create a pocket. Stuff whole herb pieces inside the pocket under the skin, or place herb inside the main cavity. Coat chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, & some of the chopped herbs. Cover evenly. Place chicken in the oven & roast for 30 minutes.
3. Peel carrots & chop at a angle about 1/2-1 inch thick. Cut potatoes in half, or 1/4 if they are larger. Coarsely chop one medium onion.
4. Place carrots, potatoes, & onions in a mixing bowl, add 1 tablespoon olive oil & completely coat everything. Add salt, paper, & remainder of herbs, & toss so the mixture is coated evenly.
5. When chicken has roasted for 30 minutes, remove it from the oven & add the carrots, potatoes, & onions evenly around the bird. Return pan to the center of the oven & continue roasting for 45-60 minutes or until the thermometer inserted into the thickets part of the thigh registers at 165 degrees or higher.
6. When the chicken is fully cooked transfer chicken & veggies to a roasting pan & place back into the oven, turned off, to stay warm. Pour the white wine onto the hot baking sheet & allow the wine to mix with the remaining juices. Place the sheet over medium heat on the stove & used a spoon to mix in the wine. Pour the wine mixture into a small sauce pan & boil until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Add any seasonings or extra herbs to the sauce.
Plate Finished Product
7. Cut whole chicken into pieces, breasts, thighs, legs, wings, etc. & plate with veggies. Spoon sauce over chicken & veggies before serving.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Roasted chicken with fresh herbs has been something I have grown up eating & have always loved. The ingredients are simple & the finished product is delicious.
Feel free to add or subtract any herbs from this dish. Carrots & potatoes work best for this dish due to the length of cook time, but if you want to use other veggies, such as squash, asparagus, brussel sprouts, etc. add them at a later time in the cooking process so they are not over cooked. For Whole30/Paleo modifications use approved chicken broth in place of wine & use any potatoes.