Spaghetti Carbonara with Kale
- 6-8 oz dried spaghetti
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 3 oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of 3/4 full salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, stir well, & cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the kale & cook until pasta is al dente, about 5 minutes. (Note - Remove 1/2 cup of the pasta water & reserve). When pasta is cooked, drain the remaining pasta water.
3. While pasta & kale are cooking, sauté pancetta in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
4. Mince shallot until finely chopped.
5. Add shallot to the pancetta & stir for about 2 minutes.
6. Add the wine & boil until reduced by half, stirring up the browned bits, about 30 seconds. Remove from frying pan.
7. In a small bowl, add eggs & beat with a fork. Mix both cheeses & a generous amount of fresh ground pepper.
8. Briefly reheat the pancetta mixture then remove from heat. Add the spaghetti & kale to the pancetta. Gradually whisk 1/4 cup of the reserve pasta water into egg mixture. Add the egg mixture to the frying pan & stir until it coats the pasta & is creamy, not runny. If the egg mixture is not becoming creamy, set the pan over a very low heat & stir constantly until the cream sauce forms. Do not allow the sauce to boil. Mix in the remaining pasta water to form a silky texture.
PLATE FINISHED PRODUCT
9. serve right away.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Although I am not an egg fan I loved this dish. I wanted to include kale into a warm dish & it pairs very well with the pancetta. This is a great week night dish but make sure you serve it immediately!
If you do not have pancetta you can substitute it with bacon. I also used wheat pasta, but you can use regular spaghetti. Top with grilled chicken to add some protein.