CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman purple label)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 head of living or butter lettuce
- 1 bag bean sprouts
- 1 bag broccoli slaw mix
- 1/8 cup toasted almonds, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Thai peanut sauce (optional)
- teriyaki or soy sauce (optional)
- Chives (optional)
1. Place chicken, fresh or frozen, in a
Crock-Pot/slow cooker. Add teriyaki sauce & water,
cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW.
LOW is alway more tender.
2. When chicken is done, or when there is 30 minutes or less remaining, remove chicken & place on a plate, leave liquids in the Crock-Pot. Use two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces then place chicken back in the Crock-Pot.
Dice water chestnuts & add them to chicken in the Crock-Pot.
3. Let chicken finish cooking or if cook time was done allow chicken mixture to sit on warm or LOW for 15-20 minutes.
4. When chicken mixture is done cooking, strain out the liquids.
5. Plate shredded chicken & top with chives and sesame seeds.
MAKING THE WRAPS
6. While chicken is cooking, separate lettuce into pieces, wash, & pat dry. Place toppings, broccoli slaw, bean sprouts, almonds, sesame seeds, & sauces in serving dishes.
PLATE FINISHED PRODUCT
7. Place one leaf of lettuce on a place, add chicken, broccoli slaw, bean sprouts, almonds, sesame seeds, & top with sauce.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I have always loved chicken lettuce wraps & I have tried many variations in the past. These are good, easy to make, healthy,
& are great for entertaining.
There are many things that will pair well with these wraps. Mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc. I believe less is more but since it is such a light dish I usually serve brown rice & veggie noodles on the side.