CHICKEN & HERB WHITE PIZZA
- pizza dough
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1-2 cups rotisserie sliced chicken
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
1. Place pizza dough in a bowl & spray with cooking oil, let sit for 10-15 minutes. Prep all ingredients, slice chicken & onions, shred cheese, mince garlic, chop all fresh herbs, &
measure butter, milk, & flour.
2. When pizza dough is ready sprinkle flour on a flat surface, kitchen counter, table, or cutting board, place dough on the floured surface & roll out with a rolling pin, add flour as needed. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle cornmeal onto the pan, then lay dough flat over cornmeal & poke lightly with a fork 4-5 times.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds while stirring. Add flour & pepper, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk continue stirring. Cook 3 minutes or until sauce thickens, stir constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat, add cheese, stir until cheese is melted & well mixed.
4. Spread sauce over dough leaving 1/2 inch border for crust.
5. Lay chicken evenly over white sauce & top with sliced onions.
6. Bake at 450 degrees on the bottom rack for 15-18 minutes
or until crust is golden.
7. Sprinkle with herbs.
8. Cut, plate, & serve.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I found this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine & since I had left over chicken from lunch that day & pizza dough in the fridge I figured I would try it out.
Great recipe & the pizza dough cooked perfectly!
If you don't eat meat you can add other veggies in place of the chicken. I used part of a rotisserie chicken but you can always grill a few chicken breasts. Other toppings that would pair well with this dish are, mushrooms, bell peppers, or artichoke hearts.