ZUCCHINI NOODLE PASTA
- 2-4 medium squash or zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh pesto
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Using a julienne peeler or a sprializer, cut off ends & slowly julienne each squash from top to bottom or spiral zucchini to create noodles.
2. Place julienned squash in a large bowl & lightly toss with 2-3 tablespoons fresh pesto.
3. Add cherry tomatoes & garlic, toss lightly.
4. Heat olive oil in a medium heat pan, pour squash mixture in the pan & saute for 1-2 minutes. (If you prefer raw squash you can skip this step).
5. Plate, top with Parmesan cheese, salt, & pine nuts. Serve warm.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Pasta is one of my favorite meals, but the carb overload is not always a healthy option. I do love spaghetti squash, but that can take some time to bake or boil. I came across squash & zucchini as a great pasta alternative, the texture is much better than I expected & the flavor is great!
This can be a great raw meal for those who are on a raw diet. You can also remove the Parmesan to make this a whole30, paleo or vegan approved dish. If you want to add protein you can top with some grilled chicken breast, shrimp, or salmon. You can also use a marinara or meat sauce in place of the pesto. If you have a lemon you can also add some lemon juice & a little zest to lighten up the taste.