SWEET POTATO & KALE SOUP
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1/2 cup split peas or lentils
- 1 cups kale or spinach
- 4-5 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat & saute onion & garlic for about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes and ginger, cooking an additional 3 minutes. Stir in cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, & salt. Cook for 2 minutes, adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Next add the sweet potatoes, broth & split peas or lentils. Bring soup to a boil then reduce & simmer covered simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Add kale (or spinach) & simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Soup is one of my favorite comfort dishes & a healthy & filling soup is the best. I love kale & this was a great way to add super greens to a soup. My Dad always makes soups out of all the veggies he has laying around the house, this reminds me of something my Dad would make.
There are a few easy modifications that can be done with this dish. If the vegetable broth is used it is vegan as well as gluten & dairy free. But if you want it to be whole30 or paleo approved remove the peas or lentils, you can also use butternut squash in place of sweet potato if you have that on hand. Great additions are celery, carrots, zucchini, or any other veggie, ham or chicken would make a good protein addition.