KALE, APPLE, & BACON SALAD
- 1 8-ounce bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves shredded
- 1 small head radicchio, shredded
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted
- 1-2 sweet apples, sliced
- 4 ounces cooked bacon, sliced
- 1/3 cup canola oil, or olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt, & pepper.
2. Slice radicchio into thin strips.
3. Slice cooked bacon into strips.
Someone heard the word bacon! :)
4. Slice apples into thin strips.
5. Combine the radicchio, kale, apples & pecans in a bowl. Toss while adding the dressing, little by little, until salad is well dressed. Taste & adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
PLATE FINISHED PRODUCT
6. Garnish with crispy bacon & serve.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
Kale, the super food, is a great green to keep in the fridge at all times. It stays fresh much longer than most super food greens such as spinach & arugula, & there are so many things you can do with kale. I decided to make a little twist on a salad I had at a lunch a few months ago. I am pretty sure I hit it the recipe spot on, but I am guessing they used pancetta in place of bacon but since I had bacon in my fridge it worked out well.
There are so many modifications that can be done to this delicious salad. You can add any type of nut in place of pecans, also candied nut would be great & add some sweetness. Also any apples work but I prefer red over green, but it's your choice. The bacon can obviously be replaced with pancetta & if you had the time, I would suggest making a reduction with the bacon or pancetta grease using the dressing ingredients. I went the healthy route but it would add a bit more flavor. If you have champagne vinegar it would work well too & if you need to mild down dressing add a bit more oil. You can always top the salad with some blue cheese or goat cheese.